January 31, 1946

Dad,

Oh, I will never travel the places you have seen!!

I just looked up Hotel Adler in Zurich, Switzerland. It's still there, after all these years! I had to smile when you mentioned how good the beds were and how well you slept that night you stayed there. If you sent home pictures of it, I've not seen them, so I don't know if it has changed. Gosh, what a wonderful sight Switzerland must have been to a young farmer from Eastern Colorado! Too bad it had to be a war time.

And guess what? The Schutzenhaus Basel is still there!!!  Goodness, that restaurant must have been just as good as you wrote about in your letters to have continued success nearly 70 years. Wow. How wonderful - 70 years, Dad. Has it really been that long since you were there?

Dad, something so sad has happened. I found myself thinking that if you were here, you would know what to do, what to say. In my heart, I know there is nothing to do - now, and probably nothing could have been done to prevent one person from taking the life of another and then his own. But you would have known how to handle it. You would have known what to say to his mother. I felt so useless.

You were stability and security in my life and I took it for granted. I thought it [you] would always be there for me. In that place where my safety used to lie is now a great void of confusion. There is few checks and balances. I feel unsocialized and unschooled when I read your letters.

I miss you much. Love you, Patti

Comments

Popular Posts