Father's Day

Father's Day 2015

Every day is Father's Day. I'm sorry I didn't know it until now.

I hope you are listening because I need you to hear me. I want you to know:

Remember when you gave me horsey rides? I must have been about 3 years old. I enjoyed them then, but fully loved them when I watched my 3 year old on your back giggling and laughing as she bounced around on your back. I know now how much your knees probably hurt - thanks, Dad, she and I will always remember those rides.

I loved that you and I sneaked out to play in the rain - after Mom told you not to. I was four. We got soaked and when the thunder got too loud and scared me, you scooped me up and carried me onto the porch.

When I was 5, I remember watching your face and seeing a lot of different emotions there as you quickly picked me up and carefully held my lips under the warm tap water to loosen the frozen Popsicle.  

And Dad, I can still hear the sound of your footsteps on the gravel running along beside me, giving me the courage to pedal that bike and balance it by myself - even though I was afraid I'd fall. I was six then.

Remember the M&H Cafe, Dad? Remember going there for peanuts and Pepsi? I will always remember how gentle and patient you were as you taught me how to hold the peanuts so they would fall down through the opening of my Pepsi bottle and drop into the icy cold brown pop below.

Dad, you were the only one who told me that I could do anything I wanted to do and I shouldn't let anyone stop me. I was twenty-something then. Thanks Dad.

Papa Bear, Baby Bear tells me every now and again how much she misses you. After I got to meet her fiance, guess where she took him next? She wanted him to meet you. We love you so much. You are missed.

Patti


Comments

Popular Posts