December 18, 1945 Sergeant

Hi, Dad. Sorry I've not talked to you is so long. It's been a rough few months and instead of talking to you, I avoided all contact, as I always have.

I just finished a book called Tallgrass.  It is eerily similar to a lot of our past/family - some directly, some opposite. As I read it, I was able to follow your years in the Service. I'm so glad you came home safe.

Your letters say you have made Sergeant! Wonderful. Also, I was wondering how long you have been overseas - sixteen months, is what you mentioned. I bet it felt longer than that.

Why the particular coins? Very peculiar, makes me curious. I'm wondering if they were for your girlfriend, as was the popcorn.

I had to laugh when I read that the only bad thing is that you had to get up at 5:00 a.m. to go collect wine and schnapps ! Oh, my gosh, I only ever knew that you got up with the sun, and that was way before 5:00 o'clock!  Also, your bragging about cooking has enlightened me as to why you always wanted bear pancakes, bear biscuits, as well as other "spirit" filled foods. Even many years later I remember that you were first in line for Mom's Brandy loaf cake. (I have to admit, it was very tasty!), though, I rarely ever saw you drink - even a beer.

If I'd known the word when I was young, I would have understood that you were always an enigma. When Mom, or my siblings would get frustrated with me, they often ended a conversation with, "you are just like Dad!"  In my mind, I always shouted back, "and why is that so bad?"  I have been told by other people that I, too, am different, an enigma. That what I do is often contradictory to what they believe I will do - and they become angry at me for their misunderstanding and incorrect stereotyping. As if I'm to oblige and behave to their audience.

One more thing: I'm sorry I didn't visit on Veteran's Day. I couldn't. Just couldn't. Mom was concerned whether you would get a little flag and I meant to check to make sure, but I just couldn't go. I haven't been there in 2 years, but I'm working on it.

Well, later Dad. As always, I miss you so very much. Love you always.

Patti












































































Comments

Popular Posts