November 21, 1945 Hoping for Furlough

Hi, Dad.

You might be home for Christmas. It seems you will be going to Switzerland, for sure. You brought home the skis you used there and liked so much. They were very long. Well, they seemed long when I was a kid. And the spiked poles were something I'd never seen - like out of a horror movie, I guess.

I smile every time I read about your request for popcorn. You shared a lot of things with me as I grew up, but never that you liked getting popcorn to share with your friends. That would be so like you. I think you shared it with girl friends mostly and maybe that's why you never told me about it. I wonder if Mom knew. If she did, she never said anything about it.

A co-worker and new friend of mine was recently in Paris. She brought back a six-inch replica of the Eiffel Tower. It has multicolored lights inside it that slowly change color. I can't help but believe you would have been amazed to see the Eiffel Tower today because of all the lighting changes they have done.

Aunt Esther is gone Dad. She died only a few short months after Mom. It was so odd that in Mom's last few hours she kept calling for Aunt Esther and then she would smile, but then a few minutes later, she would call for her again. It broke my heart to hear it. It's as if she knew it wouldn't be long before they would be seeing each other again.

I miss you, Dad. I wish you could be here for Christmas.

Patti








Comments

Popular Posts