June 3, 1945 Another Transfer Possible

June 3, 1945

Dad,

I read between the lines. You are homesick, a bit. I'm glad that people were beginning to write to you more, but I can tell you were hoping to get to come home - or at least hear from more family.

I remember the gun you sent home. (At least one of them.) It was a big one and had a bayonet that fit on the end. There were a lot of things you sent home, collected from the Germans. I wish now you hadn't let us play with them the way we did. It ruined them. The German helmet was fantastic to use to pretend it had a bull's horn on the top; however, over the years the helmet finally fell apart.

I smiled when I read your request for candy and especially the salted peanuts. Peanuts were always a favorite of yours. I wrote a story about you and me, when I was little. It's called Pepsi and Peanuts. I miss you, Dad.

Love always,
Patti




Comments

Popular Posts