Dear Dad #2

(See copies of letters below)


January 31, 1946
Dad,

I'm still reading your letters from Europe, but I wish I had been able to read ones previous to January 18, 1946. 

I'm also trying to follow along with you as you travel. So far, it seems that you are stationed in Frankfurt, Germany, but travel regularly to Brussels, Belgium mostly, but go all over from there, such as Reims, France. You also get to go to Strasbourg, France and I know you've been to Paris, though you haven't mentioned it yet in your letters.

Then, you go to Kandersteg, Switzerland. I wish I could see Hotel Beau Rivage. I looked it up online and was astounded at how beautiful it is! Was it that wonderful when you were there?

 Now, I know where you learned to ski and skate. I loved learning to skate on the ponds in the pasture, but mostly, I loved watching you do it. Skating was not something we grew up doing, so to watch how graceful you were and how sure on the ice you were was a treat. I never told you, but after those rare Sundays that we skated on the ponds, I cried myself to sleep at night. I have weak ankles and didn't want to tell you that skating made my ankles burn for hours afterwards. I wanted to skate like you. I wanted to be graceful, just like you, but I never could. I still enjoyed being out there, though, with you. I especially loved it when you would swoop me up and with my skates on the ice, you would glide swiftly and gracefully, holding onto me, taking me with you and I felt like a princess!

War Ration Stamp Book
Your war ration book, still with stamps in it, is with your letters. You were only 17 years old. I am so proud that you chose to fight for us, even if the war ended not long after you enlisted. Grandma often told me that she was proud of you and that you were a good man. But I already know that.


Beer Mug
I find it amusing that you ran a bar (your own bar, from what I understand), since you have never been a drinking man.  Little Lapp's Liquor Lounge. How ever did you come up with that moniker? It's a great one! Especially the way it fit on your mugs and steins! Sounds like you had a wonderful time there, aside from the more serious duties of being in the Army.

I remember a few stories you told us when we were young, but reading about your life brings a part of you into perspective that is much different than that of "father".  I miss you so much, I hope you know that.


Patti

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4












Comments

Popular Posts