Dear Dad #1

My father passed away on September 22, 2005. He was a wonderful man, raised in a harsh country, by a harsh German Emigrant. He would have been a great American President, or Secretary of State. He possessed some of the finest people-skills I've ever known. People liked him - people from all over the world - as he knew it.

When my mother passed away, just this past December, I saved a small box of letters from being tossed to the trash. It was a very unassuming worn little box. When new, the little box boasted, "A Touch of Beauty", from the "Sunshine Line" of scripture get well cards. When my father was writing all the letters I found inside the little box, my mother and he had not yet met, yet, my grandmother saved the letters, and then my mother saved them; proving there really was "sunshine" and "beauty" inside.

I find it very difficult to read these letters, for at my mother's passing, I am finally able to mourn my father. I miss him with all my heart. He died too soon and with too much pain. I wish I could give some life and living back to him. There is so much I want him to know - so much he would want to know, but I have to work up to telling him all that I want to share, so I will read his letters. I want to feel close to him again. So much time has passed...

Januray 27, 1946
Dad,

I've finally sat down to read your letters. I love that you have penned a part of yourself on those pages so, like you, I finally just set everything aside to write back to you. The time seemed right and there are no distractions.

I'm glad that you arrived in Brussels safely, but then to get to go to Switzerland! I'm jealous!

Yeah, snail mail is, well, slow. Still, reaching home in just a few days is pretty good for overseas. Could be worse. I'm glad that Aunt Bernice writes to you. Do you ever feel lonely or isolated? We all miss you so much, you will never know, but at least you made friends there - even if Brussels is cold!

As you already know, Uncle Johnny didn't have to go to the army.

One last thing: I have several new great nephews and nieces. Our family is really growing and you would be so proud. Can't wait for you to meet them. I also have a great surprise for you, but more on that later, at a better time.

I have to close now, Panda (my puppy) demands some play before going to bed. I will write more later.  Know that we all miss you and wish you were here.

Love you much,

Patti



Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

Page 6

Envelope
















Comments

Popular Posts