Dear Dad #3

(See copies of letters below)


March 26, 1946
Dad,

Now I know how Mom knew so much about the girlfriend you had in Frankfurt, Germany!! (she read your letters.) I remember, too, that there was a picture of her, but I'm not sure where it is now.

Only 3-4 more months till you are home. Must feel like you've been gone much longer than 18 months.

Doesn't surprise me to read that you had your family send you some comforts from home - to give to your girlfriend!!  I wonder where she is now, and what happened to her after you left there. I don't even know her name. I hope she enjoyed the popcorn (5 pounds?) and I'm sure YOU enjoyed what she baked for you with the baking powder!

I smile to read that you would want Uncle Johnny to build a wooden box to send you things in! Does the Post Office have insurance for the overseas items sent? They do now. Just think if you could have had just one piece of technology of today, back then. What would you pick? Skype? Cell phone?

And your "good pen" -- you always have had a "good pen" with you. I have a pen and pencil set in my China cabinet that have your name on them. They must be 20 years old, but the pen still writes.

It's snowing today, Dad. All day heavy wet snow has fallen from a gray sky. You would have been grateful for the moisture, and we would have played snowball fight in it.

Miss you,
Patti

Page 1
Page 2


Page 3

Page 4


Comments

Popular Posts