March 6, 1946 - Green Eyes

 Hey, Dad.

I was looking at the March sixth pages you mailed to Grandma (again with your dad's name on the envelope), and again, why? They were nearing divorce and I believe the only reason they hadn't yet separated was because you were not home. This is as good a time as any to tell you how proud I am of you that your determination to be different from your dad was as good as won. From everything I've heard about your dad, I believe you were never like him. 

So about the pages of March 6, 1946: (sorry, I digressed). Sounds like you were offered a Sergeant's position, but if I remember correctly, you eventually accepted the position, if not then, later. I know you liked the skiing because you brought home your skis and poles, along with ice skates. Remember how you tried to teach me to skate? I just never had the ankles for it. I loved watching you on the ice, you are so graceful, and I was so NOT graceful. I spent most of the time sitting along the shore in the weeds crying and rubbing my ankles because they hurt so bad. I wanted to be on the ice with you so much. I hope you know that I was aware of how patient you were with the eight-year-old me. Changing schools was very hard on me, but those weekends in the pasture, on the frozen ponds, all of us ice skating, meant the world to me and you made me feel special. Those times that you scooped me up and carried me with you as we flew along the ice was magic. 

Your letter to Grandma says you were in Frankfurt, Germany. I wish I could see all the places you have been. I think that Stephanie has been to several places that you were stationed while in the army. You and she would have a lot to share. 

I know this is probably an odd thing to wonder about, but why did Grandma have to send you shirts and underwear? Couldn't you have bought them in Germany? Was it the cost? Was it the brands? And you had food rations, but is that why you sent them home to Grandma? So that she could buy the salmon and cheese for you and mail it to you?

Okay, So there was several War Ration books along with the stamps included with this envelope and letter. They are very interesting but I noticed two things that sort of freaked me out. The first thing was that your book was signed by R.R. Schreiner. Can that be correct???? Small creepy world. The second thing is that it says your eyes are brown. NOT. Your eyes are green, like mine. How could they possibly get something like that so wrong? It says you were just seventeen years old. You were just a baby. 

Seventy-seven years and five days ago, Dad, you were about to write this letter to Grandma. I wish I could turn back time and make me just seventeen years old again. I would make so many different choices. I would not hesitate to tell you how I feel about you. I would try to make you proud of me. 

I miss you Dad. I hope the angels know who they have. 













 

Comments

Popular Posts