March 15, 1946


August 11, 2019

Purty?! Dad! I guess you spell fairly well for not having finished tenth grade, but – purty? It took me awhile to figure that one out. Your penmanship and grammar are okay, in spite of German being your first language. I have always been so proud of you, Dad. It is difficult for me to read your letters. Oh, not because of any misspelled words or grammar mistakes, but because they make me feel so close to you when I read them as if my time with you is yet to happen. But then, I have to close my computer and walk away, leaving you behind. A piece of my heart always stays behind with you. It's always the piece that needed a short conversation and to see you smile last week, or the little girl part of me that needs a night night hug, or the part that is too anguished to go on to tomorrow. (I'll get that part back next time).

March 15, 1946

 You are traveling again: Strasbourg, France. The skiing will be good, you will love it, I’m sure. It is surprising that it took two months for you to get the Brush News Tribune that Grandma mailed to you, but I also wonder how long it would take now if I were to mail it. Probably quite a while, so that wasn’t so bad really. I am surprised you received the cookies at all!  You have mentioned a new German city: Karlsruhe. I read that there was once an American Army base there that no longer exists. That would explain your layover. I also read that most of the Palace in the city was destroyed during WWII. How awful war is. 

Love you and miss you Dad, always, Patti.






Comments

Popular Posts