Hi, Dad. I'm having a bad day. Actually, several bad months. I miss you so much. If love and tears could have kept you alive, you would never have left us. You are with me always, but only in memory and you will never fade. I want so badly to see again your crooked smile and sparkly green eyes looking at me that told me I was special.

Sometimes, at work, I recognize a sad and lonely young girl who I know has never known the love of a special dad like you. I always pass on the advice you once gave me, "You can do whatever you want to do, don't let anyone stop you".  I know how difficult that is, tho, Dad. Gawd. I can't do this without you. It seemed as though you have always been able to make decisions. Did you ever falter, stumble? Have you ever fallen and couldn't get back up?

March 3, 1946

I find it interesting that you had to let Grandma know that she could now send more than five pounds when mailing things to you overseas, especially the part where you asked for a wooden box. Hopefully, Uncle Johnny made some for her. There also was a little note at the top of the letter that said to keep the photos. I'm sure they were safely put up for you. I remember a lot of those kinds of pictures from when I was small.

I am determined never to watch football until the men in your kind of uniforms make the same kind of money as football players. You mailed back to Grandma only $188 and that was two month's pay! OMG! I know it was something back then, but still not enough. I also see that you mailed back a Ration card and some stamps for food.

Love you, Dad
Patti


Comments

Popular Posts